Knight West one of the leading estate agents in Colchester. We wanted to share our money saving tips with you, for a more comfortable life at home.
With the cost of living going up, and energy companies increasing their prices every winter. We thought we would help you out before the winter hits, with some tips on how you can save energy around the home, which will reduce your bills too!
Running your home can be costly. But there are other ways to stay home without draining your wallet. Want to save money? Carry on reading…
- Leave the oven door open after cooking. It is ‘free’ heat that would just be sucked out by an extraction fan otherwise.
- Add layers – wear another jumper, put a blanket on your bed.
- Turn your thermostat down. If you turn it down by 1°C can save yourself as much as £60 per year.
- When cooking on the hob, make sure you are using the correct ring. Putting a big pan on a small ring will only take longer and use more energy to heat.
- To keep heat in, make sure you have double glazed windows and a good pair of curtains that will keep the heat in.
- If you have a power shower, you may want to look at turning the pressure down. It is a great luxury to have in the home, but it uses more water than a bath!
- Where you can, do your laundry on 30°C. It could save you up to £40 a year.
- Make sure the dishwasher and washing machine are full before turning it on.
- Buy a water butt for the garden to collect the rainwater, so you don’t need to waste water from the hose, to water the plants.
- Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth and washing your hands.
- Steam your vegetables instead of boiling them. Not only is this a healthier option but will save you water too.
- Switch over to LED light bulbs; they are a better source of light over incandescent light. Better still you could get motion sensors added to your home so there is no chance of someone leaving a light on.
- Smart controls around the home have boomed in the last few years, you are able to control your lights and heating from an app on your phone. If you know you are staying out one night, make sure you turn the heating off to save money.
- Unplug your charger when you aren’t using it. Even though your phone isn’t plugged in, electricity is still running to the wire.
- Turn off any device at the plug that has a standby mode. You are still using electricity. This could still cost you up to £30 a year.
- Avoid using the tumble dryer where possible. A clotheshorse or the washing line is a far better alternative.
- Only fill the kettle to the amount you need. You will use extra power boiling more water.
Other ways to save money
- There are great ways that can help you save money nowadays. Make sure you insulate your home by having loft insulation and cavity wall done.
- Solar panels are a great way to produce extra energy; there are Government funded schemes now too.
- Don’t be forgetful or lazy. Keep on top of who your energy supplier, make sure you have the cheapest tariff possible. If you cant get it with your current supplier, don’t be afraid to change.
- Draft-proof your home – buy draft excluders to help keep those nasty chills outside.
We hope these tips have been useful and given you some inspiration to start implementing them around your home.